Saturday, March 20, 2010

Quick shots - Peeping Tom & The Clown



These are just two quick shots taken in response to the fine art assignment. The first image was taken whilst walking in the woods on a family outing. There was an old hollowed out tree trunk with interesting bark and a small peephole. I got my daughter to look through the hole just so I could capture her eyes. I chose a shallow depth of field to blur the foreground. I like the idea of isolating the eyes so the the viewer is not distracted by the other facial features (this could make an interesting series). In Photoshop I have brightened the eyes with the dodge tool. Camera data: 28mm prime lens, f5 at 80th Sec.

Image 2 was taken at a school assembly that my daughter was taking part in. The room was lit so the overhead projector cold be seen on the back wall - in other words dark. At the end of the assembly we could greet our children. I took the opportunity to take the image above. I found the only bit of white wall that didn't have a display board on it, it also happened to be opposite the french window that let natural daylight through. I quickly positioned Jess at this wall and took this shot. I have taken the image into Photoshop and added a dream effect by combining the blur filter along with the blending mode. This has helped take away some of the detail (brick work) from the background and add a dream effect to the final image. I have also lightened the eyes with the dodge tool, but darkened the Iris with the burn tool. The saturation has also been tweaked to exaggerate the colour of the red wig. Camera data: 50mm prime lens f1.4 (to blur background and due to poor light), speed 1ooth sec.

Learning outcome: There are situations were a photo opportunity presents itself, the knack is recognising them. When they do arise you have to work quickly and don't be to fussy, not everything is going to be perfect eg lighting, weather etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment