Thursday, November 24, 2011

Profesional Practice - Silver based test 4


As part of the experiments I have been conducting I wanted to see what would happen if I used an old petzval lens and film. The lens I used is quite fast at f2.8, and with out a shutter an exposure of around 1 to 2 seconds is sort. The only film I had was ISO 400. This means controlling light becomes an issue. The light for this test was daylight mixed with an ordinary ceiling light behind the camera. For this test I was not overly concerned with any particularly lighting set up, I just wanted enough light so that I could use a  combination of film speed, aperture (fixed at 2.8 as I don't own stops for this lens) and time.























The first image was a 2 seconds exposure. The light to the models face is slightly under exposed, plus the camera is casting a shadow over the bottom of the face. At the top of the image is the swirly bokeh that is the signature effect of the petzval lens. The second image was still a 2 second exposure but with the light turned up (dimmer switch controlling ceiling light). Also the model was taller, so the shadow of the camera was cast in the neck area.

Conclusion

This test has proved that I could use this lens in combination with a faster film speed (ISO100 or below) and use the fauna subject mater in previous test to create a distinctive salt prints.



No comments:

Post a Comment