Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Thoughts on Fuji Emulsion Lifts - Final Integrated Assignment

Following the Fuji emulsion tests I had time to reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of the process.


First I did have some equipment failure, the holder and camera I was using should have been compatible. However, when pulling the holder out of the Sinar F1 camera the latch caught on the holder and fogged the remanding film. However, I carried on to see what the look would be. This problem occurred twice more even when being aware of the issue and trying to be extremely careful when removing.




When analysing the finished image and researching other images on the web I was not entirely convinced this is what I was looking for. I have long admired the work of Elizabeth Opalenick who produces some stunning work utilising the Mordancage alternative photography process. This is essentially taking a silver print and bleaching the emulsion away. This allows the artist to creatively manipulate the image. In the production of a Mordancage image some fairly noxious chemicals are used. At this point of image making I was not planning going down this route.







Images by Elizabeth Opalenick.

Due to the similarities of the Fuji emulsion lifts I thought I may be able to obtain a similar look. The Fuji lifts I produced and the ones researched on the web don't seem to have the subtlety of Mordancage. The more I researched the more I became aware that the Fuji lifts could look a bit cheesy. So I have decided not to continue with this processes for the F.I.A but come back to it later.














No comments:

Post a Comment