Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Places - A Familiar Place

Albert Renger-Patzsch


For this part of the 'Places' module I wanted to take the influence from one of the early 'New Objectivity' photographers - Albert Renger-Patzsch. I have become particularly interested in any photographer who followed this genera of photography since researching the subject for the case study, wanting to link this research to the photography modules for this semester. Patzsch along with Karl Blossfeldt and August Sander created a new way of photographing where the object being photographed was the central element. Within their respective compositions there was no room for subjective interpretations.


Familiar Place - Date of capture 16th February 2010 8.50am, Camera Nikon D300

With this in mind I had identified a wood I use to play in as a child in my home town of Worcester. At a visit at half term the perfect conditions presented themselves - slightly foggy! 

Due to the influence of Patzsch I intended to capture in colour and convert to greyscale in Lightroom/CS4. I purposely set out to look for images that would convert well to greyscale. I was trying to imagine in my head what the compositions would look like in black and white. I was particularly seeking increased tonal range between light and shade.






ISO 280 28mm f.5  Sped 125th Sec

For this photo session I decided to use a standard prime lens (cropped sensor - equivalent to 50mm lens) try to keep to the feel of Patzsch images. I also wanted the highest quality of image within the light restraints. With this first image (above)  I chose a lowish depth of field taking direction from Patzsch images.







ISO 400 28mm f.5  Sped 80th Sec

The first image was slightly darker than I wanted, so I adjusted the Quality down to 400 ISO. I also allowed more light to hit the sensor by slowing the shutter speed down to 80th sec. I composed this shot due to the number of different tree trunks and the varying tonal range seen. I particularly liked the fog in the background that just lightens the density of the wood.








ISO 400 28mm f3.2 Sped 125th Sec

I came across this wind blown tree stump with the light coming from the back and left, being diffused by the fog. I composed the shot so that the trunk of the tree guides your eyes into the center. I would have preferred a little bit more foreground interest. As there was quite a lot of background confusion within dense woodland I decided on a shallow depth of field so the focus mainly highlights the trunk - the main component of the composition.



ISO 400 28mm f3.2 Speed 125th Sec

As I was about to leave the wood  I passed an Ivy bush that was just  capturing the light. As this composition was looking down I  chose a shallow depth of field so that the background didn't distract the main subject from the final image.





ISO 400 28mm f5 Speed 125th Sec

The final image was taken for the varying tonal quality that snowdrops provide if converting to greyscale. I chose a fairly low depth of field along with composing the shot to give the impression that this was a large patch of flowers. This is probably to much subjectivity for 'Objectivity' purist but you have to experiment!!

Learning Outcome:

1. When the correct weather conditions present themselves you have to take your opportunity.

2. Taking inspiration from masters of photography and trying out their particular style helps with 

3. Purposely going out to capture black and white images focuses the mind and helps identify the opportunity in situ rather than at the end of the shoot when sifting through images on a computer.



Contact Sheet:


1 comment: