Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Creative Research - Professional Studies

With any assignment for Uni we are encouraged to look at other photographers work for inspiration. As the Professional Studies assignment  will be still life I have dusted off some of the names I have looked at from previous projects. One name that I always take inspiration is James Day. Predominately a still life and advertising photographer, Day has worked for many major brands from Audi, Sony and The Times just to name a few. However, when visiting his website, looking at the still life category, there are so many varied and beautiful images, it's hard not to take inspiration. I am always fascinated by his use of light, always striking and effective without being over fussy.





Another photographer who I have mentioned many times in my blog and always take away something from his photography is Irving Penn. Now for is fashion photography Penn also became now for is general allround professionalism in the medium. Although is portraiture photography is extremely popular it's his still life that fascinates me. Taking the mundane subject matter and turning it into something special. Take for instance the images of the used cigarette buts found on the side of the street. Penn turns them into an intriguing examination of disposed of irrelevant items.







No comments:

Post a Comment